This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by CREECE 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

CREECE
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

In the 2016.2 release notes, there is mention of the new SuiteCloud Development Framework (SDF). While the notes do a decent overview, there isn’t a lot of technical aspect to it. For example:

1. What is the structure of the XML (even why the decision was made to use XML)?

1a. What happens if I have an XML definition that differs from a teammate and we overwrite each other? Do fields go away?

2. What is the underlying architecture of how this works? Does it use SuiteTalk to accomplish the interaction between the IDE and the NetSuite account?

In the past, the documentation on what is enhanced / fixed has been severely lacking in release notes. Anyone who has used the Eclipse IDE plugin can tell you that there have definitely been some stealth changes that don’t get noted.

Going forward, for the betterment of the development community, will there be more documentation and update notes for both the IDE and suitescript? At a minimum, I would like to see a community editable resource for code snippets / design / architecture that we can all contribute to (wiki style maybe?). Most of the code examples that are used either A) simply do not work or B) are so simplistic that it wasn’t worth the time it took to write it. Having a dev community could help alleviate this and possibly make it a little more friendly to develop things.
    This is a cached copy. Click here to see the original post.

• #4590 Score: 0

michoel
    • Level 1

Originally posted by CREECE

View Post

At a minimum, I would like to see a community editable resource for code snippets / design / architecture that we can all contribute to (wiki style maybe?). Most of the code examples that are used either A) simply do not work or B) are so simplistic that it wasn’t worth the time it took to write it. Having a dev community could help alleviate this and possibly make it a little more friendly to develop things.

A project exactly like this has just started on Stack Overflow, please join in:

http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/netsuite

https://usergroup.netsuite.com/users…for-great-good

CREECE replied on 08/04/2016, 02:58 PM: Awesome. Will give that a look. Thanks for the info.

• #4591 Score: 0

MChammaTX
    • Level 1

I believe they selected XML as the pulls and pushes into NetSuite from the IDE will use SuiteTalk. Having JSON as an option would have been nice as well.

I think my greatest disappointment with the framework is that it requires the SuiteCloud IDE and Eclipse. Having spoken to some NetSuite folks, it seems like there are big plans for the framework, eventually even replacing the SuiteBundler in a few years. With that said, they cannot force people to use Eclipse and they should make the framework agnostic to the IDE you use or at least support other IDEs such as Visual Studio, WebStorm, etc.

• #4592 Score: 0

erictgrubaugh
    • Level 1

While it’s ridiculously difficult to find the actual XML files used to define the SDF Objects, I did come across them while creating custom 1.0 and 2.0 templates for the SuiteCloud IDE (see https://gitlab.com/erictgrubaugh/ecl…ript-templates if you’re interested).

You can actually see and generate the XML templates directly in the Eclipse IDE now. It’s a bit tedious to generate each one individually, so if you want to find the actual XML template files, you can extract them from:

P2_POOL_HOME/plugins/com.netsuite.ide.core_2016.2.0.e4.jar/templates/ where P2_POOL_HOME is usually ~/.p2/pool/

This is for Eclipse Neon; I don’t recall where that same jar file was stored in previous versions of Eclipse, but you could most likely dig through the plugins/ or dropins/ folders of your Eclipse install directory.

• #4593 Score: 0

CREECE
    • Level 1

MChammaTX I 100% support IDE agnostic for SDF. It is java anyways which WebStorm uses for its plugins. Speaking of, I created a plugin that will do the pre-SDF functionality for WebStorm (https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8305?pr=) it is open source as well. I am going to attempt to add SDF functionality so I don’t have to use Eclipse for SDF either.

erictgrubaugh good find! and thanks for the work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.