This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by jimk 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

jimk
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

I’m trying to get into a habbit of using workflows when I can as they are quick to create and modify. I have a simple workflow which creates an alert of sales record creation IF the customers balance is less than 0. This works fine, however I’d like to actually put that value (customer balance) in the alert message.

A couple of questions regarding this:

How would I create a custom workflow field that pulled a value from another record? I tried creating a custom state field but not sure how I would do this. If I go to type of list / record and select customer, I can’t figure out how to set the field value to balance.

Second, is it possible to include a custom field / variable in the show message action? Is not, would it be possible with something like workflow action scripts?

Thanks in advance.
    This is a cached copy. Click here to see the original post.

• #10206 Score: 0

jayfiggins
    • Level 1

Jimk,

I tested this and accomplished it using the following steps:

1) Create a custom field on the sales order, store value = false. Source this field from the customer record, balance field.

2) Create a workflow with one state, deployed on the sales order

3) Within the workflow state, create an action that is triggered on after field sourcing of the customer field

4) In the message field of the workflow action, enter the field ID of the field created in step 1, using curly braces. Ex. {custbody_so_cust_bal}

Give it a shot and let me know how it works.

• #10207 Score: 0

jimk
    • Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I’d rather not create a custom field if I don’t have to…would this be possible to do with workflow custom fields? i.e. could I do the same thing with sourcing the balance field with a workflow field…or is it not possible? Thanks in advance.

• #10208 Score: 0

jayfiggins
    • Level 1

I’ve tried doing it with workflow custom fields, but am running into the issue where I cannot join to the value in the customer record in a client-side action, such as a field change trigger. You could accomplish this through a fairly simple script if you want to avoid creating a field on the transaction. Otherwise, I think you’ll have to create the field on the sales order, and hide it from the form so it doesn’t clutter things up.

• #10209 Score: 0

jimk
    • Level 1

Frustrating! I thought I had figured it out but I’m thinking it’s not possible. I called netsuite support and they said to create a field, currency, and use the action set field value to “source” that value from another record.

I did this but when I include that custom workflow field in the show message, e.g. Customer may have credit! Balance: {custwfstate_test_balance} , it just shows null. I’ve tried both state and workflow level fields, neither work. I don’t really understand the value of these custom workflow fields and if you can’t access them?

I can put in any field on the actual form in the alert and it works. It just doesn’t make sense. Oh well, back to the old scripting method I guess.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.