This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by mlumangaya 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Kyle Bromley
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

Hi All,

I need to allocate current vs LT portion of Unearned Revenues for Balance Sheet purposes. We are using RevRec Schedules for all invoice transaction line items. All post to one Unearned revenue account. This acccount has an ending balance of $3mm comprised of say 1500 customers, at the end of October. It is now January.

What report do I run in NS to show me how much of this $3mm in existance at end of Oct period, will be recognized in the next 12 months (the current portion), and how much is Long term?

All assistance would be appreciated.

thanks,
    This is a cached copy. Click here to see the original post.

• #7386 Score: 0

lnanji
    • Level 1

RE: Current portion of Deferred Revenune using Rev Rec Schedules

Hey Kyle:

Right now you need to setup your schedules so that it separates a current vs LT amount – so you can get the reporting you desire.

Ie. If you sell something for $1k and want $500 in Current, and $500 in LT, the Rev Rev schedules need to reflect that. Ie. Oct $500, some month in the future: $500.

You can do this by manually going into the sales order prior to approval and changing the schedules (not ideal), or setting up a Rev Rec schedule against the item.

We setup our Rev Rec schedule using the Pro-rate straightline so it even distributes the deferred revenue over a portion of time (ie. one year).

Hope this helps,

LN

• #7387 Score: 0

Kyle Bromley
    • Level 1

RE: Current portion of Deferred Revenune using Rev Rec Schedules

Here is the issue. If I sell a 36 month subscription, we set up a RR schedule which deferrs 100% of this amount. The RR schedule then recongnizes 1/36 monthly on a SL basis.

For GAAP reporting at say month 4, we need to show Current portion is 12 mths, while LT portion is 20 months.

There needs to be some report which can calc this at a point in time.

Also need to look backwards.. if it is now Dec, what was current/LT portions as at Oct period.

HELP.

• #7388 Score: 0

BGreene
    • Level 1

I’m looking for this same solution. I also need it for certain deferred expenses as well. I’ve tackled similar problems in the past for the odd note receivable by manually creating memorized transactions that roll the current portion to a Current account, but that’s quite tedious to do for every revenue schedule, especially since we don’t know what period to start recognizing it in when it is first recorded.

• #7389 Score: 0

mschmidt
    • Level 1

Did anyone figure out a solution for this?

• #7390 Score: 0

mlumangaya
    • Level 1

We have the ‘Deferred Revenue Waterfall Report’. This Report however is available once you have the Advanced Revenue Management Feature enabled on your Account. You can contact your Account Manager for more details about the feature.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.