This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by August Li 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

trimblee
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

Can the SuiteCloud IDE be used for code versioning?

Anyone using anything else for versioning?

Thanks,

Evan
    This is a cached copy. Click here to see the original post.

• #4828 Score: 0

roberth
    • Level 1

RE: Code Versioning?

I use git for versioning all my code with Bitbucket hosting my repo as a private repo. This allows me to work from wherever I need while still maintaining document history. Plus its light weight, can integrate nicely with eclipse and is extremely well documented.

If you’ve never heard of bitbucket, check them out: https://bitbucket.org/ (I’d also recommend checking out their other products such as JIRA for bug tracking)

• #4829 Score: 0

BT_WillList
    • Level 1

The IDE can’t per se. You can integrate the IDE with several other versioning providers using Eclipse plugins (we use SVN).

I haven’t found a way yet of determining which version of a document is present in the file cabinet of your netsuite instance. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be done?

• #4830 Score: 0

roberth
    • Level 1

For our purposes we assumed everything was at base version 1. Then as changes are made the versions are incremented accordingly.

Keep in mind though that source code versioning is different then document versioning and having a mutually inclusive solution may not provide the level of control you are looking for. Documents (word, excel etc) are often stored in a binary format that will prevent a diff from being generated that makes any human sense. The only way to use a source versioning system like git to track document changes is to have all of your documents in plain text.

That being said, document control systems are available as well. Google docs can do it, same with Sharepoint and Atlassian’s Confluance.

• #4831 Score: 0

corey
    • Level 1

Originally posted by trimblee

View Post

Can the SuiteCloud IDE be used for code versioning?

Anyone using anything else for versioning?

Thanks,

Evan

We use SVN and I use an Eclispe Plugin called Subclispe. Works fine.

• #4832 Score: 0

John Menerick
    • Level 1

I use a similar setup to roberth’s but utilize Github.

• #4833 Score: 0

August Li
    • Level 1

If you are using CVS or SVN, a possible workaround is to enable $Revision$ in your source code comment so that you can at least see the version in your source code from the file cabinet, not that elegant, but better than nothing. http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/s….keywords.html

Other than that, there is a file compare function that lets you compare the current file in editor against the copy in file cabinet but it works for a single file at a time.

Originally posted by BT_WillList

View Post

The IDE can’t per se. You can integrate the IDE with several other versioning providers using Eclipse plugins (we use SVN).

I haven’t found a way yet of determining which version of a document is present in the file cabinet of your netsuite instance. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be done?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.