This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Olivier Gagnon NC 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

dominicb
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

We have scheduled scripts running on our system which iterate through 5-10k products, look at the stock situation, update out of stock status and amend a couple of custom fields used for friendly display messages on our web site. If stock is not on hand, the same script also looks at outstanding purchase orders to establish a likely availability date.

I come from the world of PHP and SQL, where a script which takes 5 minutes to run is something which may indicate cause for concern. With our Netsuite system, the above process takes something like 14 instances of the same script repeatedly restarting in order to overcome governance, each running for something like 800-1000 seconds. Daily, we're seeing this process take 4-6 hours.

Is this normal?

On a similar note, typically how many ERROR messages are other people seeing in the Script Execution Log on a daily basis? I'm expecting to see maybe a handful a day. In practice, we're seeing 3-5k on a typical day. Is this typical, or likely to be impacting speed?
    This is a cached copy. Click here to see the original post.

• #21434 Score: 0

Olivier Gagnon NC
    • Contributions: 0
    • Level 1

Well it might be "normal" in the sense that the script sounds badly designed, so there would be a lot of waste there. But in general, NetSuite will be significantly slower than the environments you are used to. This is due to a number of reasons, but principally because you are never accessing the databse directly: you always execute through the top layer down. This slows you down due to process overhead, but NS does that to protect the integrity of its database. You CANNOT break NS's integrity as a result – something other ERPs cannot all claim.

But in any case, I would have an experienced developer look at your script to optimize it. You should be able to shave some time (though, it's not going to go from 4 hours to 4 minutes… you might be able to shave an hour or two). Anecdotally, a client once asked me to look at a slow running script, and I reduced processing time by 90%, simply due to the fact that a lot of lower tier developers don't know how to code properly for NetSuite. So, I am sure there are gains to be made in your script.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.